As early as 1940, graduate chapters of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. begun to realize the importance of the prestige, good will and cooperation of women who had not earned a bachelor’s degree and therefore were not eligible to be members of the organization. In 1948 at the National Convention, Zeta Amicae was established as an auxiliary of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority. The name Amicae means Friends in Latin. The first charter was given to Lambda Zeta Chapter of Houston, Texas.
Amicae are women who believe in and support the ideals of the Sorority. Today, these auxiliaries render invaluable services to the sorority and their communities. They are located in areas wherever there are active graduate chapters of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Zeta Amicae of Gloucester County
On February 13, 1995, a charter was granted to Omicron Omicron Zeta Chapter to form an Amicae Auxiliary. A group of women met at Rev. Mildred L. Stanford’s home to form the Zeta Amicae of Gloucester County. Installation of officers was held in March of 1995 at the home of the Chapter’s President, Geraldine Johnson. The first official meeting was held on April 15, 1995. Rev. Mildred Stanford* was the auxiliary’s first Sponsor.
Arlene Artis*, Evelyn Cullins*, Dorothea Evans*, Ann Harris*,
Rita Jones*, Maxine Self*, Lorraine G. Wallace* & Arnette Williams*